Spring is here at last, and summer is just around the corner. Millions of Americans are taking advantage of the warm weather to enjoy outdoor activities, and many of them are searching for cycling bikes for sale. If you’re one of them, here are some tips for picking the right model for your needs.
- Ask yourself what kind of riding you want to do. If you’re new to cycling or haven’t been on a bike for a while, then you might want to consider a comfort bicycle. These models have wider tires, higher handle bars, and more comfortable seats than other types. They’re perfect for riding on paved trails, around town, or on the beach. Many cyclists find that a good comfort bike is the only kind they ever need.
- Make sure the bike you’re considering is a good fit for you by comparing it to your body frame. This earlier post explains how to do this, whether you’re an adult, child, or teen. It’s impossible to over-emphasize how important this is. An ill-fitting bicycle is not only unsafe, but riding it will also be more of a chore than anything else, which might turn you off to the hobby. If you’re buying a bike for a young person, make sure to get one that fits them now, not one that you think they’ll grow into. This will help to ensure that they get the most benefit from the activity.
- If at all possible, purchase your bicycle from a well-established bike shop. Not only do they carry better-quality cycling bikes for sale, but they’re also usually staffed by long-time riders who can match you to the right model for your needs. If you live in or near San Antonio, then we invite you to drop by and see our team at Alamo Bike Shop today. We can get you off to a great start!
Here at Alamo Bike Shop, we stock components for all types of bicycles, including mountain, comfort, and street bike parts. Street bikes are an increasingly popular option for getting around urban areas. If you’re considering buying one, here are some basic tips to keep in mind.
Street Bikes 101
Street bikes, also known as “urban” or “road” bikes, are designed specifically for riding on pavement. They stand apart from mountain and comfort bikes in the following ways:
- They’re usually lighter in weight.
- They’re ideal for virtually any kind of finished-surface cycling, whether for fitness, commuting, long-distance or touring. They also make great racing bikes.
- They accommodate any level of riding experience, from beginner to veteran.
Enough of the basics; here’s how to choose a great street bike.
- Choose the right size. This is perhaps the single most important factor in selecting the correct street bike for your needs. A poorly fitting frame can make your ride uncomfortable or even painful. Knowledgeable staff at your local bike shop should be able to help you determine the best fit for you.
- Know whether you want a drop-bar or flat-bar design. The choice comes down to aerodynamics vs. comfort. With a drop-bar bike you’ll be riding while bent at the waist, which reduces your air resistance. However, it can also cause back, neck, and hand pain. A flat-bar permits the rider to sit up higher. This is not only more comfortable, it can also be safer, as it allows riders to better see obstacles and other hazards.
- Shop carefully. As with other kinds of bikes, street cycles vary widely in terms of quality. Read reviews, learn about the different brands, and make sure you’re happy with the model you ultimately get. After all, you work hard for your money, so make sure you get a bike that’s worth its price tag.
One way to be sure that you get a great deal is to buy your next bicycle from Alamo Bike Shop. Come visit our store to browse our great selection of cycles. If you already have your perfect cycle, feel free to bring it by for repairs or street bike parts. We’ll see you soon!